The sun is shining, and the sky is blue. The flowers are in bloom, and the bees are buzzing. All is right in the world. This is a moment of happiness. But it is only a moment. Happiness comes and goes, like the tides. Purpose, on the other hand, is constant. It’s like a North Star that guides you through life’s ups and downs. It gives you something to strive for, even when times are tough.
When you have a purpose, you can be happy even when things are tough because you know there’s something worth fighting for. Whether it’s a cause you’re passionate about or a goal you’re working towards, having a purpose gives your life meaning and fulfillment. So pursue your purpose with everything you’ve got—it just might be the key to lasting happiness
Have you ever thought about your purpose? Where do we currently stand in the pursuit of purpose?
What even is ‘Purpose’?
In the United States, our forefathers promised us freedom in pursuing happiness. And modern scholars tell us that happiness is linked to having a sense of purpose. So is the “pursuit of happiness” actually the “pursuit of purpose”?
The drug companies have tried to sell us the idea that we can simply buy “happiness in a bottle™” with a monthly subscription of pills. But most people want more than just momentary feelings of happiness. They are now seeking deeper fulfillment and meaning in their lives.
Happiness is ephemeral, but purpose lasts forever. It’s something that you can feel good about not just in the present moment but also in retrospect when you look back at your life accomplishments.
For some people, their Purpose might be clear. But for others, it can be incredibly confusing to figure out what ours might be. And if we don’t have a sense of purpose, does that mean we’re not happy?
It’s important to remember that everyone has their unique path to follow and there is no single right or wrong answer when finding your purpose.
When it comes to defining purpose, everyone will have their interpretations. You, I, and anyone else can talk philosophically, in circles, about what purpose is. But at the end of the day, do we all have a purpose? I believe we do.
Some people may disagree with me on this point. But even if you’re unsure whether everyone has a specific purpose in life, you can at least ask yourself what your personal purpose might be.
What is your purpose? It’s a big question and one that can be difficult to answer. If you’re struggling to figure out your exact Purpose with a capital P, don’t worry –you’re not alone. Many people go through their whole lives without ever really knowing what their true calling is.
Five tips that might help you on your journey to find purpose:
1) Think about what brings you joy and fulfillment- What are the things in life that make you happiest and most fulfilled? For some people, this might be spending time with family. For others, it could be traveling or being outdoors. Consider what activities make you lose track of time because you enjoy them.
2) Connect with your passions- What topics or subjects are you consistently drawn to? Whether it’s fashion, music, art, or science- pay attention to the things that interest you most and see where they lead you.
3) Ask yourself what difference you want to make- We all want to somehow leave our mark on the world. Think about how you would like to be remembered by others and what impactful change you would like to see during your lifetime.
4) Consider your values and beliefs- What do YOU stand for? What kind of person do want to be seen as? When making decisions big or small throughout your life, always check back in with yourself to see if they align with who YOU want to be as a person
5) Keep an open mind– Life’s beauty is constantly changing and evolving. As you grow older, your perspectives will change, too. You might have some clarity about your purpose today, but that could all change tomorrow so remain open to welcoming any new insights or realizations with open arms
Another way to start thinking about your Purpose is to ask yourself “Did someone else choose my Purpose for me?” This helps give some perspective on whether our Purpose is predetermined or if it’s something we each create for ourselves based on our unique talents and passions. No matter how abandoned, destitute, disabled, forgotten, lost, ignorant mischievous, misinformed negative, or toxic they may seem, everyone has a Purpose. This is called interbeing. Our lives are interdependent on everyone else in this interconnected world.
So, where do we currently stand in the pursuit of purpose?
It seems that we are at a crossroads. We can continue down the path of least resistance, letting others dictate our purpose for us. Or, we can take control of our lives and pursue happiness on our terms.
The choice is yours.